When I got home I took him to the kitchen and started tearing the ants off him, they were red ants and had a tight grip on him. He was moving and shaking all over the place obviously in pain. I put some water where the ants were since they would do the ants more harm than it did the tiny green lizard.
After getting all the ants off him (there was one on his eyelid that was particularly stubborn) I gave a few of the dead ones for him to eat, and he did and I saw this as a good sign that he can get better. His back legs seemed immobile and only used his front legs to drag himself along the plate I put him on. I also gave him some water and put some dirt and grass on the plate so he could be more comfortable.
![]() |
| Here he is after I removed the ants |
Leaving him for a few minutes to give him some rest I come back and he isn't moving. I tried to move him a bit to see if he would react, like early when he was trying to bite me, but nothing. Surely it was the poison of the red ants that ended him, there were too many and had probably been struggling for a while before I got there. I knew it was a long shot when I picked him up, but I wanted to give him a chance. I think he died more comfortably than he would have if I never saved him.
It makes me a little sad that the world is harsh and cruel, but like my sister said "Well that's how the world goes round." Even so, everyone (including animals) should have a chance and I'm sure the lizard somewhat appreciated that he wasn't being eaten by ants anymore and died away from that, after taking revenge on eating a couple.

No comments:
Post a Comment